Sunday, March 14, 2010

Thrifty Jackpot!!

I love a good trip to the D.I. (I promise I have a life)...anyway, I found myself there on Monday once again. And as I was wandering about the store, I found the most hideous little desk with the greatest makeover potential I've seen yet! And the best part was that it was a whopping $5!!! It was covered in paint, as you can see from the picture. I stood there in front of it forever waiting for someone to come help me and put a "sold" sign on the beaut! And out of the corner of my eye, I see some other customer looking at it asking me if I was going to buy it. I said I was going to. And she proceeded to tell me that she had the best place for it and on and on...Well of course, it just made me want it more! Silly girl. So she found a place behind me and plopped right down as if I was going to walk away from it and it would be hers! The nerve haha! Some random guy came up and said, "Are you buying that ugly thing?" I said, "All it needs is a little spray paint job and it'll be great." To which this girl replied, " Don't spray paint it!!!" Like she wanted to leave it the hideous way it was! I kept thinking, "Seriously, girl, walk away...it's not yours!" Haha I've never had that kind of feeling like I had to claim my territory at the D.I. of all places. Ah, the things we'll go through for a $5 gem...

It really was love at first sight!

Nothing a little sander can't help.

This is just with the primer on and it already looks amazing!

I mod podged the drawers with fabric to make them look pretty.

I used Krylon brand spray paint in Bauhaus Gold. I saw it used on some furniture on All Things Thrifty's blog, so I can't take all the credit!

Don't you just love the legs?


Isn't she so beautiful?!?! I love it. I need more knobs, but I couldn't wait to show it! Now where to put it? I need more space...

18 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGG! I freakin love it girl! How do you do it? You have such a great eye for these things! I'm so proud to call you my friend! :) Seriously girl, I'm gonna need some help designing a new room in my house...you up for it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think it's great you stood your ground and didn't let the know it all lady take it! If only she could see it now...she would bawl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so good!! How do you find such good deals. The DI by my place is WAAAAYYYY over priced. They had a dresser that had just as much paint as yours plus the drawers were pretty crappy to handle and it was $45...what? Glad you beat that chick and got it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented! You should seriously go into business and sale some of the stuff you find. We had such a great time with you and Lee on Saturday night. I hope you did too. :) We need to do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, P.S. You should submitt your projects to All things thrifty! They all look so great. And you have inspired me. First off you got me addicted to that blog and stopped at Walmart today for some spray paint of my own! Now just waiting for the primer to dry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing! it looks awesome! I'm so glad that you go it, she had no chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it so freaking much!!!! Now it's worth $500. I can't believe some dude asked you if you were buying that "ugly" thing... stay out of my business you know! I'm glad we are looking at each others blogs now. I love you girly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, you truly crack me up! I love your writing style and I'm proud of you for your grammar and spelling. Honestly, not everyone has that talent these days! You've got a new great talent and I'm proud of you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job- I am trying to get creative about remaking stuff but I might not have had the vision for this piece. It's awesome and Inspired me to paint something yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing, I love the details in the desk.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving this!! You gotta love the DI--aka the best place ever. You did a fantastic job with it.
    Heidi @ www.budgetwisehome.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just got your link off of All Things Thrifty. Awesome find! I would have never seen the potential of that desk a while ago. I have a desk here that we inherited, which I hated, but since seeing this, I think I'll be painting it very soon and it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy amy I saw you on all things thrifty!! whoot whoot, you are so freakin famous now!!! I felt so proud when i saw that! Check out Hobbie lobbie for knobs if you haven't all ready, I love their knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I clicked on your link after seeing your desk on all things thrifty. The desk is awesome now and I love what you did with the drawers. Did you just glue the fabric down and then modge podge on top?
    Great job. Don't you just love projects like this that turn out so well??!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang awesome. Thanks for inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great find and the yellow is fun. I mean, what color could have been better anyway? I think I have a can of yellow in the basement.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, this is sooooo beautiful....makes me want to run paint something yellow right now! and i love that you guarded it from the lurker...way to go! by the way...since it was so cheap, you could possibly splurge a little on the knobs and get some fabulous ones from anthropologie, i saw some on their website the other day that would be perfect for that piece:) ok, i'm off to find something i can paint yelloW:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. AMYYYYY!!!! I am SO proud, excited, elated, and jealous of you and your awesome talent. Love you girl! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete